Close Menu
    MENA News 24/7: MENA news, live around the clock.MENA News 24/7: MENA news, live around the clock.
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    MENA News 24/7: MENA news, live around the clock.MENA News 24/7: MENA news, live around the clock.
    Home » China investigates fatal Huize illegal mining collapse
    News

    China investigates fatal Huize illegal mining collapse

    June 1, 2026
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    YUNNAN, CHINA / MENA Newswire / — Five people died and one person was injured after a collapse during illegal mining activity in Huize County, in southwest China’s Yunnan Province, local authorities said. The incident occurred early Sunday in Baiwu Village, Nagu Town, a rural area under Huize County. Officials said the collapse happened at about 4:30 a.m., trapping six people at the site before emergency teams arrived and began rescue operations.

    China investigates fatal Huize illegal mining collapse
    Five deaths confirmed after illegal mining collapse in Yunnan’s Huize County.

    The collapse prompted a multiagency response involving emergency response, public security, firefighting, health and natural resources departments from Qujing city and Huize County. Rescuers recovered all six trapped people and transported them to hospital for treatment. Five later died from their injuries despite medical efforts, while the injured survivor was reported to be in stable condition and out of life threatening danger after receiving medical care.

    Authorities identified the activity as illegal mining but did not disclose the type of mine involved, the ownership of the site or the identities of those trapped. The available official information also did not say whether any arrests had been made. The focus of the public statement remained on the rescue response, hospital treatment and the opening of an investigation into the cause of the collapse.

    Rescue teams recover all six trapped people

    The accident adds to continuing safety concerns surrounding unauthorized mining activity in China, where local and national regulators have repeatedly targeted unlicensed extraction, unsafe shafts and concealed operations. Illegal mining sites can present major hazards when operators work without approved designs, ventilation systems, structural controls or emergency safeguards. In this case, officials did not provide details on the depth of the site, the material being mined or the condition of the collapsed area.

    Huize County is part of Qujing, a prefecture level city in northeastern Yunnan, a province known for varied terrain and mineral resources. Baiwu Village, where the collapse occurred, is within Nagu Town. Local authorities said response teams moved quickly after receiving reports from the scene, bringing out the six trapped people and sending them for emergency treatment. The statement did not provide a timeline for when each person was recovered.

    Investigation into cause remains underway

    Officials said an investigation into the cause of the collapse is underway, with aftermath management also being handled by local authorities. The public account did not identify a company or registered mining operator linked to the site. It also did not state whether the illegal activity had been previously detected by regulators or whether the site had been subject to earlier enforcement action before Sunday’s incident.

    The deaths in Yunnan came days after another major mining disaster in northern China, where a coal mine explosion in Shanxi Province killed dozens of people and drew scrutiny of safety violations at that operation. Authorities have not linked the two incidents. In Huize County, the confirmed facts remain limited to the collapse during illegal mining activity, the rescue of six trapped people, five deaths, one injury and an active investigation.

    Related Posts

    Record-Breaking Death Toll in DRC Ebola Crisis Due to Rapid Spread

    August 17, 2026

    Seismic activity at magnitude 5.4 impacts Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost, Pakistan

    August 14, 2026

    Focus on Youth Engagement as International Youth Day 2026 Emphasizes Inclusion

    August 13, 2026

    Legal Proceedings Push Forward Against Meta Over Social Media Use and Section 230 Protections

    August 12, 2026

    South Africa-China Electricity and Energy Investment Conference Opens at POWERCHINA Headquarters to Advance Long-Term Energy Partnerships

    August 12, 2026

    South Africa-China Electricity and Energy Investment Conference Opens at POWERCHINA Headquarters to Advance Long-Term Energy Partnerships

    August 11, 2026
    Latest News

    Increased Malaria Cases in DRC Exceed 26 Million in 2025, Highlighting Ongoing Public Health Challenges

    August 17, 2026

    Record-Breaking Death Toll in DRC Ebola Crisis Due to Rapid Spread

    August 17, 2026

    Falling Gold Prices Signal Weekly Decline Amid Decreasing Federal Rate Hike Expectations

    August 15, 2026

    WHO warns that Congo’s Ebola outbreak may surpass the deadliest on record due to strain differences

    August 15, 2026

    9% Growth in Global EV Sales in July 2026 Driven by Market Shifts and Regional Variances

    August 14, 2026

    Seismic activity at magnitude 5.4 impacts Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost, Pakistan

    August 14, 2026

    South Korea’s July Auto Export Volume Surpasses $6.24 Billion Due to Eco-Friendly Vehicles

    August 14, 2026

    Etihad’s Airbus A321LR to Initiate Seasonal Flights from Abu Dhabi to Gothenburg in December

    August 13, 2026
    © 2026 MENA News 24/7 | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.